The Blathering Bloggess Digresses Anew
Man! My back still hurts. Carpool Cous said I probably strained it or something. Yep. Sitting on your couch, watching reruns of "Friends" can do that to you. Sitting on your ass in stupid traffic, singing Christmas songs for the heck of it can do that to you. Sitting in front of your computer, watching the stupid cursor blink in silent mockery can do that to you. (By the way, wasn't able to touch novella as my stupid back hurt like hell. Bad backs and romance definitely don't go together.) Anyway, I've been popping pain killers. But, no, I'm not rehab-bound just yet. Only people with enough money (or serious bartering skills) can enjoy the bittersweet pain of addiction.
So here's the thing, I'm low low low on cash. Again! And just last night I had enough for gas till payday. Of course, that's before my car, Kadyot (that's "Lurch" in English, as she's given to these violent lurching episodes), went blind on me. Two kilometers from home, it just blinks out! No dim or bright lights. Total darkness on a moon-less night. On a somewhat deserted road. Only my hazard lights got me through the last couple of km's.
(Sidebar: But if you think about it, if this had happened on a crowded highway, I would've gotten a ticket for sure. So it was really nice of Kadyot to die on me when I was nearly safe at home, without a traffic enforcer in sight. I think Kadyot and I have a "connection". I think we are "linked" somehow. She's my Christine. Well, except she doesn't go mental on boyfriends. And neither is she self-healing. The latter would've been cool, but the former, moot, as what's-his-face and I have decided to say adieu.)
So, anyway, this morning, I get Kadyot fixed -- well, sort of fixed -- and you know what? No more cash. Again! No more gas to get me to work. Crap. I'll be at the mercy of 'em Visa gods yet again. ("This is why you need to get married," I could just hear Kitty, a good friend, say. Marry for a lifetime supply of gas? I think not.) Damnit! Maybe I should go on a paid vacation. Can you just imagine it? Me (slathered in Banana Boat) and Kadyot (slathered in Turtle Wax), on a recliner, on some seashore somewhere, a Shirley Temple in my hand, a gallon of margarita in her tank.
The song of the week is "Obvious" by Westlife. I know, I know, I'm thirty. No self-respecting woman in her thirties should be listening to bubblegum pop. So my taste in music is flawed. So I don't dim the lights at night, put on Chet Baker and gaze at the big, desolate sky in silent yearning. Big deal. I happen to like pop-y stuff. Besides, "Obvious" is fun because it boggles the mind. See, the song is about this Guy who likes this Gal -- who also happens to be his Best Friend. Although he's a pretty sincere and lovable guy (who by the way, also happens to be boy-band gorgeous), this Gal/Best Friend just doesn't seem to get that he's into her. Although he's made it "obvious" that he's "crushing" on her big time, she's still totally clueless. Okay, I don't want to sound all superficial here, but women notice good-looking guys. We may not want to bed him. But we will notice him. Our heads will turn, and our eyes will make a quick sweep of his frame (perhaps even lingering slightly on his mouth and butt).
Now, what if (gasp!) he happens to be my adorable best friend, too? Well, I will still notice. Maybe even do a little dance of joy. Not that I would do anything about it -- at least, not without impelling evidence of maximum reciprocity -- what, with the friendship on the line and all that crap. But I will notice. I think any girl with 20/20 vision -- or glasses/contacts that actually work -- would. "Obvious" also reminds me of another pop song, "Invisible Man", by 98 Degrees. Another fun, mind-boggling song. Same premise -- he's into her, but he's non-existent to her. As if! I mean, honestly! How could a guy with biceps the size of V-Bugs be invisible on any friggin' level?
O o O
So here's the thing, I'm low low low on cash. Again! And just last night I had enough for gas till payday. Of course, that's before my car, Kadyot (that's "Lurch" in English, as she's given to these violent lurching episodes), went blind on me. Two kilometers from home, it just blinks out! No dim or bright lights. Total darkness on a moon-less night. On a somewhat deserted road. Only my hazard lights got me through the last couple of km's.
(Sidebar: But if you think about it, if this had happened on a crowded highway, I would've gotten a ticket for sure. So it was really nice of Kadyot to die on me when I was nearly safe at home, without a traffic enforcer in sight. I think Kadyot and I have a "connection". I think we are "linked" somehow. She's my Christine. Well, except she doesn't go mental on boyfriends. And neither is she self-healing. The latter would've been cool, but the former, moot, as what's-his-face and I have decided to say adieu.)
So, anyway, this morning, I get Kadyot fixed -- well, sort of fixed -- and you know what? No more cash. Again! No more gas to get me to work. Crap. I'll be at the mercy of 'em Visa gods yet again. ("This is why you need to get married," I could just hear Kitty, a good friend, say. Marry for a lifetime supply of gas? I think not.) Damnit! Maybe I should go on a paid vacation. Can you just imagine it? Me (slathered in Banana Boat) and Kadyot (slathered in Turtle Wax), on a recliner, on some seashore somewhere, a Shirley Temple in my hand, a gallon of margarita in her tank.
O o O
The song of the week is "Obvious" by Westlife. I know, I know, I'm thirty. No self-respecting woman in her thirties should be listening to bubblegum pop. So my taste in music is flawed. So I don't dim the lights at night, put on Chet Baker and gaze at the big, desolate sky in silent yearning. Big deal. I happen to like pop-y stuff. Besides, "Obvious" is fun because it boggles the mind. See, the song is about this Guy who likes this Gal -- who also happens to be his Best Friend. Although he's a pretty sincere and lovable guy (who by the way, also happens to be boy-band gorgeous), this Gal/Best Friend just doesn't seem to get that he's into her. Although he's made it "obvious" that he's "crushing" on her big time, she's still totally clueless. Okay, I don't want to sound all superficial here, but women notice good-looking guys. We may not want to bed him. But we will notice him. Our heads will turn, and our eyes will make a quick sweep of his frame (perhaps even lingering slightly on his mouth and butt).
Now, what if (gasp!) he happens to be my adorable best friend, too? Well, I will still notice. Maybe even do a little dance of joy. Not that I would do anything about it -- at least, not without impelling evidence of maximum reciprocity -- what, with the friendship on the line and all that crap. But I will notice. I think any girl with 20/20 vision -- or glasses/contacts that actually work -- would. "Obvious" also reminds me of another pop song, "Invisible Man", by 98 Degrees. Another fun, mind-boggling song. Same premise -- he's into her, but he's non-existent to her. As if! I mean, honestly! How could a guy with biceps the size of V-Bugs be invisible on any friggin' level?

<< Home